Friday, October 30, 2020

Childhood Memories

Stephanie’s recent nostalgic posts about her formative years caused me to reflect on mine. I have two very clear memories of my interest in transwomen or crossdressers.

All throughout high school I delivered these things that were called “newspapers”. They are now extinct. I had a Plain Dealer route (at the time, it was one of the two Cleveland daily papers, now it’s a sporadic pamphlet). Four AM that damn alarm went off! Every single day for well over four years.

I would deliver my papers and come back home, eat breakfast and read the paper. I devoured the sports section. I had to read the daily Spiderman strip. Then I would return to bed for a brief nap and it was time to head off to school. Because of this paper route, I remain a morning person.

The Plain Dealer covered extensively the Renee Richards story. I read every word. It fascinated me and I had no idea why, but I was drawn to it. As I look back (and it is a very long time to look back), I remember having empathy for her. I remember her earrings like it was yesterday. I remember her tennis outfits. I remember the outrage at a “man” playing a woman’s sport. What an admirable human being and thank you Renee for laying the groundwork for me and many of us!

I also remember The Plan Dealer doing this expose on what I believe were TG/CD clubs. Dance clubs. I can almost see the photo of the “girls” dancing at one of the clubs. I ached to be there. Again, I devoured every word of the articles over the course of the few weeks the story ran.

I was drawn to anything on TV with a man in a dress. The All in The Family episode with the CD in it. Bosom Buddies. Klinger on MASH. Flip Wilson. The David Bowie “Fashion” video. I am writing this 100% from memory, with no Googling going on. I am sure there were more examples that I can no longer remember, but be assured, I saw them.

It is a shame that I spent about 50 years of my life ashamed of myself. It is a shame that I spent about 50 years of my life not bathed in the joy I have found since accepting this very feminine side of me. It is a shame that there is and certainly will remain for some time, a stigma about gender identity. The issues with regard to the transgendered and those of us on the very bottom of the social totem pole, CDs, still baffle me. Who gives a sh#t! Can’t we all just live our lives and get along?

Yeah, I know, that ain’t gonna happen……….

_______________________________________________

I received the following from my friend Betty.

Please consider a donation if you are able.

We are at a crucial crossroads! One road, to continue to provide the much-needed services and support that Lake Counties LGBTQ community so desperately needs. Or the other road, to dissolve the organization. We are asking you to partner with us and continue the legacy of Lake County’s FIRST and ONLY LGBTQ nonprofit 501(c)3 organization. Please consider investing in our current Pride Rally Fundraiser. Every dollar counts in paving the path towards filling the gaps in support and services for the Lake County LGBTQ community.

In just the last 90 days LGBTQ+ Allies Lake County, has been able to provide 83 people with food. LGBTQ people are less likely to ask for help from mainstream services because of the fear of being outed or judged. This can happen if they are a same-sex couple in the same household applying for services, or that same couple having children and needing to apply for services. To get those services, they may be required to tell who is in their household and the role they play. The fear and anxiety that can overtake an LGBTQ person can sometimes be more than they can handle. 

By partnering with Circle of Renewal Wellness Center in Kirtland, we have been able to provide 47 LGBTQ individuals and allies with free wellness programming. This included mindfulness, deep listening circles, and tools to combat stress and anxiety, are among just a few of the sessions. We were also able to engage a group of our LGBTQ and ally’s youth in an afternoon with a certified art therapist. They created what are called “worry dolls”. We witnessed a group of youth arrive and seem unsure of whether they wanted to open up, or even participate. Then, something amazing happened, within 10 minutes they were all laughing, joking, and talking about their personal stresses and anxiety, and how the “worry doll” will help them.

We continue to get calls from individuals contemplating suicide because they feel alone and misunderstood. Parents of LGBTQ youth contact us almost daily looking for support and guidance. Our executive director Betty Jacobs has worked very hard to establish strong partnerships with some of Lake County’s mental health and addiction agencies. These are just a few examples of what we have been able to accomplish. For more about our organization please visit us at lgbtlakecounty.com. LGBTQ+ Allies Lake County is asking you to please consider how your donation will better the health and wellbeing of the Lake County LGBTQ community. 

Please go to https://go.rallyup.com/priderally2020/betty to make a donation.

Betty Jacobs
Founder/Executive Director
LGBTQ+ Allies Lake County


from Kandi's Land https://kandis328772669.wordpress.com/2020/10/30/childhood-memories/
via IFTTTSidor som bodycontact

No comments:

Post a Comment