Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Building The Perfect Beast (My Wardrobe)

Refried thoughts from the way back machine.

A nod to the great Don Henley.  You probably have seen or certainly can see from my Flickr page, I have a massive wardrobe.  I am finally getting my arms around it, understanding how my presentation should be dependent upon my circumstances on any particular outing.  I do hope that my sense of style comes through.  My goal on every time out is to present myself properly (appropriate for my body type, the circumstances of the outing and age appropriate).  That doesn’t mean I don’t wish to look pretty or won’t take fashion risks.  Yes, I will wear a skirt maybe a little short, but overall my outfit won’t draw any unwanted attention.  Style, class and dignity are what I am striving for.

A friend asked me about my style.  I tried to explain that I am different than many girls.  While I have learned a lot, I am really not conversant in what my style is.  I am not good at knowing designers, dress types, names for skirt styles, am not good at verbalizing what I look for in an outfit.  But I know my body, I know what looks best on me.  I know what I like!  The example I used is that we are both equally talented musicians.  She can read music, I cannot.  I play by ear.  My style is instinctive.  Make any sense? I do know this, I am pretty damn good at assembling an outfit.

In building my wardrobe, I acquire pieces and assemble outfits at home.  Case in point was the pretty mustard colored top I recently wore. The top was acquired two days before I wore it and the royal blue skirt, spot on perfect for the top, was acquired years ago, sitting in my inventory waiting for that perfect outfit.

Most women probably go shopping with a particular item or outfit in mind, at least looking for something that will be worn to a specific event.  I never do that.  Since I thrift or will only generally buy on clearance, I am simply stocking my inventory for some future use.  I am frequently buying summer things in the winter and winter things in the spring as that is how they show up in thrift stores.  During the last week of December a few years back I picked up two adorable sundresses at thrifts.  About a month prior I bought a gorgeous white sundress, an outstanding cold shoulder number and another black and white NY&Co sundress.  Buying off-season is a huge cost saver.  I don’t think I have ever paid full price for a new dress.  I have purchased new dresses, but they have to be on sale and/or I have to have a coupon.  I am trying not to make my “hobby” an issue in my marriage by overspending.  There is no indication of that and that is how I hope to keep it.

I know what works intuitively for an event or outing and what works best for me personally.  I try this and that before settling on what I believe is just the right fit, but it is all done from my closet, not on a shopping trip.

So what do I look for?  Early on, I just acquired specific items: jeans, tops, blouses, skirts, dresses, etc.  Cost is a huge factor.  All thrifts have special days and/or daily specials.  I generally shop only for those items.  Some provide coupons and I use them all.  I have passed on beautiful items because I felt they were overpriced (for a thrift) or was willing to wait until they because discounted, running the risk of losing that item.  I had been in a thrift store probably five times a week, less so now.  You have to check frequently as you can walk in and find nothing or you can walk out with a bag full of treasures.

I will occasionally shop at consignment stores, but I tend to find them overpriced.  I’d rather spend that kind of money on clearance items or at places like Marshall’s or T.J. Maxx to get a new item as opposed to a used one.  I do have a consignment store that I use to sell items and will use the funds from those sales to buy things at that store.  I will then only buy 50% off items and am a bit more willing to spend a few dollars more because I just look at it like recycling, using the money from items I have sold to acquire new clothes.

Now when I shop, I look for something that simply grabs me.  Truth be told, I probably could put together a different outfit for every single day of a year with what I own now.  When I walk into a favorite Goodwill, I first start with the dresses, looking for something to jump out.  Then a quick perusal of the blouses and tops.  Eyeball the skirts for an obvious purchase and then thumb through the blazers.  Walk the shoe racks and off I go!  Now that I have “slowed” down a bit, I probably add ten items each month to the wardrobe.  I tend the garden, never wearing anything more than three times (always in a different outfit configuration), before shipping things off to consignment.

Work?  Yes it is.  Worth it?  What do you think?



from Kandi's Land https://kandis328772669.wordpress.com/2019/09/25/building-the-perfect-beast-my-wardrobe/
via IFTTTSidor som bodycontact

No comments:

Post a Comment