Saturday, February 1, 2020

Part of the Congregation

I have been frequently asked, either here or privately, how I have been able to assimilate into a church congregation, having been accepted at a couple of different churches. How have I approached both the church and the congregation when first attending and do I have any suggestions for others attempting the same thing?

The absolute truth of the matter is that if you are truly in a house of God, then your attire (obviously assuming appropriateness) should not be an issue. A lot of my church activity goes back to my rules of the road. Be smart, don’t go into a church that won’t be accepting. My belief is that most churches (steer clear of the Methodists!) won’t be an issue, but think it through. Be appropriate, wear your Sunday best! Nowadays all people run the gamut in terms of church attire. I like to dress “churchy”. A nice dress, a blazer and skirt or slacks. I am a bit of a throwback when it comes to female church attire (the complete opposite in male mode).

Here is the key. Confidence. I have attended quite a few churches where I knew no one. Not a soul. I like to get there early, while the church is fairly empty. I select my seat, remove my coat, and simply allow people to fill in around me. Never an issue and it will generally result in some type of interaction. Since I am exuding confidence, smiling ear to ear, people want to be near that! Then I allow whatever happens to happen. Time after time I engage others in conversation. If I have selected an accepting church, the presiding official (priest, reverend, pastor, etc.) will seek me out, welcome me, inquire about my status (am I visiting? seeking a new church?).

Once you have made it through that initial service, it’s pretty easy after that. Be you. Don’t shy away from socialization. Welcome the personal connections that will undoubtedly happen. Get involved. Become a part of the congregation because you are one of them. Once you get to that point, you are simply another person, not “that guy in a dress”. That is pretty cool and I find a church the best place to get to that.

As you have seen here, I am rather fearless about where I go. I am the most fearless about attending a church. People are accepting, they truly are! If you are seeking that place to get out for the first time, the right church is your answer. Circumstances are a reason not to go out, the world is an excuse. Stop making excuses before your life slips away.



from Kandi's Land https://kandis328772669.wordpress.com/2020/02/01/part-of-the-congregation/
via IFTTTSidor som bodycontact

No comments:

Post a Comment